This agreement covers production, management and hosting of your website, publication of your magazine/publication in the online newsstand Blendle, and possible future other newsstands, using the services of RO Magazines/Reporters Online (ROM). The following terms and conditions apply, we’ll keep it as brief and non-legal as possible.
RO Magazines and websites for journalists
1) ROM produces, manages and hosts websites for freelance journalists and (starting and small-scale) magazines and other publications. On this, we’re working together with De Coöperatie. The websites we develop are completely independently hosted on WordPress, with full functionality.
2) ROM develops resume and portfolio websites for journalists, photographers and other media professionals. Furthermore, ROM is able to publish fully functioning magazine-websites. To do this, we use a manage-system and several standard templates we can launch rapidly, often within a day. Examples can be found on this site. Non-standard designs are possible, but must be able to make within the range of possibilities we already offer.
3) You are free to change your website as you please, within the designs we made for you, or even outside that scope. Please keep in mind that changes using other WordPress-themes and/or -plugins than we offer, cannot be supported by us.
For more information on what is and isn’t possible: https://decooperatie.org/je-eigen-website/
4) ROM will host your domain, your website, and will provide all necessary updates, as well as making a daily back-up of your site. Your domain will be managed by us and we will cover the costs of hosting, but your website remains yours at any time. If you decide to host your site elsewhere, we will transfer the domain back to you, including a copy of your site (when you keep using WordPress) or a copy of your content (when you plan on using another CMS-system).
5) ROM promises to repair malfunctions in the technology we deliver. ROM is not accountable for any damage that follows from this, unless it originated explicity because of ROM’s actions. ROM has no influence on and is not responsible for hosting malfunctions (Hostnet), and is not responsible or liable for damage that was caused by imputable acts of our customers. ROM is also not responsible for solving problems these acts caused (other than replacing the damaged website with an undamaged back-up, which we will provide when asked).
6) All licenses that are needed for the website to run properly will be supplied by us. To use all the functionalities our sites offer, some (free) external accounts are needed, for instance to use Google Analytics, to prevent spam on your site, and to sell articles on your website using the Blendle payment button. In most cases, these are personal accounts, which you must set up yourself, although we can help you if needed. Click here for a list of accounts.
7) ROM doesn’t normally supply domain-specific mail-addresses with websites, mainly because this may cause technical difficulties regarding spam, which are too laborious for us to solve. We can, however, help you install a mail-subscription you have set up yourself.
8) When using the ROM/RO Blendle payment button and republishing articles in Blendle or other online newsstands, the General Terms and Conditions of this service will apply. If you want to use the options for donation buttons, you can use ROM’s donation account – for this, see previous terms and conditions. You may use your own donation account, in which case you will not pay any commission and are solely responsible for the administration. You will need an account with payment provider Mollie. ROM does not cooperate with other payment providers.
9) You will be the manager of (the content on) your site, and therefore initially responsible for correctly using the delivered technology. ROM provides a so-called admin account, which gives you access to your entire website. A basic manual for posting articles can be found here: CMS handleiding (in Dutch). A lot of the functions on our sites are based on the usage of widgets. If you want to change anything, some knowledge is required. Information can be found here: informatie over widgets (Dutch). Information about WordPress and how it functions can be found online. Of course, you can mail us with any questions, via email@example.com. We aim to answer as quickly as possible, especially when your problem is urgent.
10) The costs of a WordPress site at ROM are €75,- per year if you’re a member of Reporters Online or De Coöperatie. For non-members, the costs are €125,-. This includes all the costs we make for building your site and the costs for the technology used. If you want to buy additional technology, such as plugins, these costs are on your own account (and the usage your own responsibility). These prices are based on .nl domains, if you wish to use a more expensive domain-extension (.info, .tv, .nu, .org, etc), we will surcharge for said domain.
1) ROM produces third party online magazines for publication in Blendle. This (normally) requires installation of our WordPress plugin, if you don’t work with WordPress, we can make separate arrangements.
2) Blendle magazines have pre-defined lay-outs (you can choose between two), pre-defined fonts and colors are seperately available within each design. Each magazine has its own logo and its own URL.
Content will be published ‘as is’ and will not be edited, except for technical adjustments necessary for publication. ROM will correct technical production errors, either yours or ours, whenever possible but is not responsible for damages that occur through technical errors. Published articles in Blendle may be made invisible but cannot be removed. Articles can be updated. Lay-out and other limitations do not apply to publication on your own site using our Blendle payment button. Only regular WordPress posts can be sold on your own site (ROM does not support custom posts – for now).
3) Magazines/publications are free to publish and monetize their content on their own site as they wish. However, ROM will not publish in Blendle partner content if that content is freely available to all readers at all times. Blendle payments on site can be turned on and off, this is not possible within Blendle itself. Blendle publications need to contain at least 6 articles per month to justify a Blendle publication. If you want to publish less, you can use our single article publication service on Reporters Online.
4) Articles for publication in Blendle are to be made available to ROM by means of an RSS feed. RSS feeds are standard within WordPress and most other modern CMS-systems. The ROM WordPress plugin contains code for a custom RSS feed, you may have to adjust some system settings for it to work properly. ROM will support this when necessary.
5) You can set your own article prices for short and longer content, with a maximum price per article of €0,99. Once set, these prices are fixed and cannot (simply) be adjusted. The Blendle payment system does not allow subscriptions to be sold on site (it may be possible to sell them in Blendle itself eventually).
6) ROM is a production service, marketing services are not included in this agreement except for regular social media support (shares, retweets etc.). When your publication requires marketing services, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales and data
7) External magazines and publications produced by ROM have access to Blendle sales- and other relevant article data in a personal dashboard. ROM also has access to these data for administratative purposes. ROM will not publish these data under any circumstances, nor give them to any third party.
8) Publications that use our service are fully responsible and liable for the content of the text and for images that they publish through our content distribution system, and guarantee they own all applicable content rights. ROM does not, under any circumstance, accept any responsibility or liability for the contents of articles/images/publications by third parties using our technology.
9) The set up costs of a Blendle publication through ROM are €299 up front and €50 yearly for maintenance of publication technology. Apart from that, we charge a 10% commission on all sales within our network. You will receive a sales update at least each quarter of the year – you will be able to double check your sales through your dashboard. Royalties will be paid automatically upon receival, an invoice is not necessary. VAT will be (must be) paid by ROM/Reporters Online BV.
Ending a publication
10) If your publication ceases to publish, you’re free to sell or transfer your publication in Blendle to a third party within six months. Your agreement with ROM will be transferable without additional costs. As Blendle publications cannot (as of now) be deleted, you should keep your title relevant within these six months by publishing an occasional article (ROM can provide back up content when necessary). If no solution is provided within six months, we can make a separate agreement for joint publication by you and/or a third party and ROM.
11) All terms of newsstands that publish your content through ROM apply when relevant.
Tell me more![wd_contact_form id=”4″]
Reporters Online BV
2013 PZ Haarlem, The Netherlands
+31 6 16477336
Chamber of commerce nr: 65844173